Saturday, June 6, 2009

Whimsies, Sketching & Painting...Oh My!

It's the Weekend...Yeah for Us! LOL I came home from work and got started on some "Work In Progress" Pieces that needed to be finished up. When I first started playing around with the "Art Doll" form, I developed a Series entitled "Whimsies." As I developed my skills, practiced and just played around, my style has changed and continues to changes as I grow as Artist. I recently received a packaged from my friend Anita Van Hal, who I have gotten to know through numerous workshops that we are taking together online. In the package that she sent me, she included the recent issue of Cloth, Paper & Scissors May/June. In this issue there is an article entitled "10 Tips To Sell Your Art."

One of the tips that was suggested was to look through old pieces that you created and re-event them. Update your pieces, etc. Well, I took this literally, and here are some pieces that I "recycled" last night. These pieces are sculpted out of papier mache and cloth over a bottle and wire. I like their new look. I totally changed their faces! Unfortunately, I was so excited to work on them, that I didn't take before pictures, so here is what my Whimsies look like now!



They all have long braided hair that flows down their entire back! I used heavy wool yarn for their hair and just wrapped it around their head starting in a circle.






Look through your pieces to see what you can re-event! It's a fun process, and it's exciting to see the changes that occur.

I have started taking a workshop entitled "Mixed-Media Girls" with Wyanne. I watched the first 2 videos last night and began working on my canvas. I absolutely love this workshop and she offers up to 26 different videos to help you step by step and gives other exciting information on how to develop your own style and other art techniques.


I am also taking a few workshops over at www.handsandheart.ning.com with Monica. I'm loving these workshops and here is a picture of my pencil sketch that I have been working on over there. In order to learn how to draw, you must practice everyday! Even if it is just for 10 minutes a day...DRAW...You will LOVE IT!




Anita also sent me in her package a fabulous book by the amazing artist, Ann Baldwin. If you love Mixed-Media Painting and Collage work, you will find this book so worth having in your inventory!




That is a little taste of what I did last night. I know it looks like a lot, but it really wasn't. Wait until you see what I have on my plate for today and tomorrow...Now that will be a lot! 2 Full Days in the Studio...who knows what will happen. I have my Fruit Loops and my Java ready to go!
So until next time... I hope you enjoyed your stay with me and make sure you stop back to see the rest of "STUDIO WEEKEND MADNESS."

Have a beautiful weekend!

Cheers!

13 comments:

Judy C said...

You have been really busy. Are your Whimseys all girls? Do you have a Whimsey boy? They need boyfriends don't you think?

rebecca said...

oh yes! i will gladly spend the weekend with you!
xoxoxo,
rebecca

Unknown said...

Ok so when do you come up for air? Im trying to motivate today..long week...pooped me out mentally...UGH...Need Java...Need Java....LOL..

Smiles,
Sonia ;)

Oops! Desperate Blogger~ said...

How you fit everything into days is beyond me! Guess I could try Froot Loops....
Love Pink Floyd ...hehe
Have a great weekend.

Lola Enchanted said...

helloooo my favorite "chiquita"! Just stopping in to say hello and Happy Happy weekend!!!!!~

Anonymous said...

I love what you've done with the dolls, Summer is my fav! Great job on your paintings and sketches too ☺

Anonymous said...

Well well well ... you've been at it again Michelle... A whirlwind of creativity!

I love the dolls you changed... I have such a hard time with that, I usually throw them in the trash (even the birds I did)

And wow the pencil drawing and painting are as usual fantastic...

LOL Boyfriends for the whimsey girls I love that!

Pattee

Christopher A. Klingler said...

Hope you are having a nice weekend.

Chris (-:

3rdEyeMuse said...

I bow down to the creative goddess that is you! look at what you've done ... where you are going and just how much you are learning ... you are inspiration in motion!

LDWatkins said...

You do pack a lot in!! I'm also recycling some earlier works, great idea.And thanks for those workshop links..the drawing one looks interesting! Do you take vitamins? LOL

Odddollz by Jacqui said...

Hey sister

I always look forward to visiting your studio on the weekends:) I love the make overs on the girls!! They all look amazing:)
I can't wait to see where you go with your paintings!!

Be back to see more:)

HUGZ and KISSES
Jacqui

Sue said...

I really like your whimsies Michelle - love how you reinvented them. Great advice on reinventing some of the discarded creations in ones shop.

Looking forward to seeing what else you pump out this weekend.

LindaGJ said...

Fabulous work and you gave some great advice too! I am planning on revamping some of my old art, well usual art and getting into collage art. I can hardly wait to see what I come up with!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails